Cheddar Bacon Bomb Burger with Apple-Tarragon Mayonnaise, BBQ Sauce & Balsamic Onions
I’ve to make a confession: While I’m very open-minded on fancy food I’m absoluty conservative when it comes to burgers. And I really mean it. I still think that Germany has lack of “around-the-corner-burger-stores” that serve you a casual but still excellent sandwich. Instead you find dozens of burger restaurants with creations rather boring and/or redundant. An expensive ingredient here, a rare ingredient there… Seriously, food doesn’t automatically get awesome just because you use expensive, rare or many ingredients. I often tend to think: nothing beats the classic cheeseburger for me.
I got it old man but what about the burger in the picture?
However, in the recent weeks I felt a touch of creativity and I wanted to go for something new. The result is the Cheddar Bacon Bomb Burger I want to share with you.
The ingredients serve two burgers. While they are absoluty tasty I would recommend to go for one burger per person (even when fealing really hungry…) and serve some fries or a salad as side dish.
|420 g||Minced beef|
|3-4 tbsp.||BBQ sauce1|
|2 tbsp.||Grated apple|
|2 tbsp.||Chopped fresh tarragon|
|1 tbsp.||Cane sugar|
|2 handful||Cheddar flakes or grated Cheddar|
|1 handful||Amb’s lettuce|
|2 tbsp.||Magic Dust rub|
|6 slices||Pickled/Burger gherkin|
- Cut onions into rings and sweat them with a bit of oil in a small pot. Add sugar and allow it to caramelise. Douse with a shot of balsamic vinegar and let the sauce thicken slightly. Take the pot off the hob.
- Season the beef with Magic Dust rub. In the meantime mix the grated apple with tarragon and mayonnaise.
- Weave a bacon grid with seven bacon strips.
- Split the beef into half. From each half use ⅔ to form a patty. Form a well in the middle of the patty and fill the cheddar flakes or gratec cheddar inside. The remaining ⅓ is used to form a lid. Press both patty parts together and wrap the patty in the bacon grid. Repeat for the second half of the beef.
- Wash the lettuce and melt the butter.
- Grill the Bacon Bomb patty on a preaheated grill.
- Spread melted butter one the inside of the buns and roast them on the grill shortly.
- Place a slice of cheddar on the patty when it is nearly done and add the onions on top. Wait for the cheese to melt.
- Spread mayonnaise on the bottom half. Add lettuce and and gherkins on top.
- Place the “patty-cheese-onion tower” right on top of the gherkins. Add 1-2 tbsp. of BBQ sauce on top. Finish the burger build by adding the top bun.
As many things BBQ sauce is a matter of taste. However, I would recommend to go for a BBQ sauce based on apple juice since it matches very nicely with the mayonnaise. ↩︎